June 2020 News from the Parish Council:
Parish Council holds it first formal remote meeting:
Beckington Parish Council held its first formal remote meeting. While members of the council have used Zoom and WhatsApp over the last few months to keep in contact, no formal meeting has been held since the start of March.
The meeting was the Annual Council Meeting and was held on June 9th. Councillor Mark Wilson was re-elected as Parish Council Chairman for 2020/21, with Cllr Paula Fox serving as Vice-Chairman. As the meeting was a success further ones will be held in this format. Residents are welcome to join the council online, you just need to email the Clerk for the joining code a few days before the next meeting.
Recently, Cllr Wilson has been taking on responsibility for coordinating some of the Covid response in the Parish. The Council divides up the responsibilities across its Membership so that the Chairman that is not responsible for everything:
• Cllr Roland Kelly holds the Planning and Development Portfolio; this means he coordinates the Parish Councils response to all tree and planning applications made to Mendip District Council.
• Cllr Kevin Bishop holds the Highways & Transport Portfolio; contact him for issues relating to the same.
• Cllr Liz Wright is the Council's Rep to Rudge, as well as the Footpaths and Rights of way rep.
• Cllr Clive Winterbourne looks after the Local Environment Portfolio. Clive helps keep an eye on all the new dog bins and is the fly-tipping supremo as well as looking after the Council's assets around the Parish.
• Cllr Paula Fox is the S106 local developer money coordinator. Mendip District Council hold many thousands of pounds that need to be spent on improving facilities within the Parish. Contact Paula if you think you have a project this may qualify.
• Mr Simon Pritchard - Parish Clerk
Full contact details for all the Members can be found on the Parish Council website. If you want to contact the Council about an issue not covered above, then please contact the Clerk in the first instance.
Community Grants Money:
The Parish Council's community grants pot is now open. The Council has a set aside pot of money for the benefit of local groups, the application form can be download from the Parish Councils website, it is not overly burdensome.